FSO Taipei agenda update (Alarm and SMS DBus API)

Daniel Willmann daniel at openmoko.org
Wed Sep 24 18:34:19 CEST 2008

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 17:16:12 +0800
Daniel Willmann <daniel at totalueberwachung.de> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> most of the FSO team is now in Taipei and yesterday we collected items
> we want to discuss/work on in the three weeks we will be here.
>
> Here's the preliminary list of problems we want to tackle. If you have
> any comments or questions please ask!

Today we talked about the following topics:

> * Alarm/Wakeup

* Do we just want to make sure that the device is awake at a certain
point in time or do we want to signal that fact as well to the program
registering the wakeup?
We will go with the latter.
* SetAlarm(timestamp) / ClearAlarm()
  * Just register one alarm per application
  * If an application registers the Alarm the a method on a specific
method will get called on that bus name.
  * An application with a well known bus name can utilise dbus
activation.
  * If an application without well known bus name quits before their
alarm goes off the alarm is removed since we have no way of informing
them.
* timestamp is just seconds since epoch
* Question: Can the RTC wake up the device from power off (not suspend)?
* How does the RTC signal us that an interrupt occurred?
* Call AlarmFired at  /org/freesmartphone/Application on the bus
name/well known name
* Where would the alarm subsystem live? It could be a different daemon.
Maybe we can use waked as a base?

> * Enhancing SMS DBus API
>   * TP-UDH (SMS Header) support

* We have org.freesmartphone.GSM.SIM
  * GetMessagebookInfo() -> ...
  * RetrieveMessagebook(category) -> a(index, category, number, message)
  * RetrieveMessage(index) -> a(category, number, message)
  * StoreMessage(number, message) -> index
  * SendMessage(transaction_index)
  * IncomingMessage(index)
* We need an a(sv) argument (properties) in order to configure the more
advanced SMS features. If it's empty defaults will be used.
* We need to define a list of key names for the properties
* multi SMS will be represented in the properties and interpreted by PIM
or the SMS application
* Changes to org.freesmartphone.GSM.SIM
  * [M] RetrieveMessagebook(category) -> a(index, category, number,
message, properties)
  * [M] RetrieveMessage(index) -> a(category, number, message,
properties)
  * [M] StoreMessage(number, message, properties) -> index
* org.freesmartphone.GSM.SMS
  * [S] IncomingMessage(number, message, properties)
  * [M] SendMessage(number, message, properties) -> transaction_index
  * [S] MessageSent(transaction_index)
  * [S] MessageDelivered(transaction_index)
    * This should be implemented somewhere in PIM, not in GSM.SMS
* org.freesmartphone.GSM.Device
  * [M] SetSmsSimBuffering(bool) (or similar name)
  * [M] GetSmsSimBuffering() -> bool
  * [S] SmsSimBufferingChanged(bool) (Not sure if that is needed)
  * The SimBuffering switches whether SMS should be saved to SIM or
just reported on the wire.

Regards,
Daniel