[2008.8] TangoGPS/gpsd and suspend/resume

Daniel Willmann daniel at openmoko.org
Mon Sep 29 23:01:07 CEST 2008

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:06:05 -0500
"Mike (mwester)" <mwester at dls.net> wrote:

> Radek Bartoň wrote:
> > I meant how should I regognize that GPS was on before suspend.
> > Maybe clearer way may be ask on D-Bus (if such interface exists)
> > and save that information to gconf?
>
> The correct solution, IMO, would be to make the gps management service
> (gpsd? gypsy? what are we using on the current images to read the
> serial port data from the gps currently?) aware of suspend/resume.
> It should then keep something that reflects the state of the GPS, and
> manage it. That could easily be a file in /var.

We are doing this now with the changed resource handling in ousaged and
it should work (didn't test it yet because recent kernels don't seem to
resume at all). The idea is that whoever is issuing a suspend calls a
suspend function in ousaged and that informs all the resources
registered which take care of saving state. After that ousaged puts the
system into suspend and when the system wakes back up it resumes all
the resources again.
For GPS (on GTA02) that means that we power down the device normally
(savine aiding data, etc) on suspend and restor on resume.

> [Note: The GPS on the GTA01 is very different than the GTA02, and
> you'll almost certainly need completely different code (and perhaps
> algorithms too) for the two of them.]

Yeah, we'll probably need to kill and restart gllin as well for
suspend/resume.

Regards,
Daniel Willmann