Three different databases for gsm celltower locations

Onen onen.om at free.fr
Mon Apr 6 17:36:53 CEST 2009

Hi,

Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 15:03, Onen wrote:
>
>> Another point is the other signals than GSM. Our initial vision was to
>> build a database of communicating objects, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc...
>>

> Can anybody give me some ideas how BT should be useful here? From what I know
> there are very little fixed BT accesspoints around. Likely to be killed by wifi
> anyway. I associate with bluetooth something that is mobile itself therefor not
> useful to get an idea rom your current location from.

Well maybe Bluetooth was not the best example. I wanted to put the
emphasis that the original idea of openBmap was to get a map of all
communicating objects (RFID, future things, ...). Nevertheless here are
some examples of static BT points we may encounter pretty soon:

* some experiments have been carried on in Paris subway about BT beacons
which help blind people find their ways in the labyrinth. They have a
special device at the ear, which says where they are, and if they go in
the wrong direction, etc...

* ad panels in the subway, or on the street, may have bluetooth to
distribute details to phones

* in Paris, there are BT stations on the street, you can get connected
to with your phone, and download maps and or details of the area you
currently are.

A reason why BT may still last over WiFi may be the power needed to have
BT on in comparison of WiFi, don't you think?

If anybody sees more examples...

Onen