which way is the easier

Visti Andresen talpa at talpa.dk
Sun Apr 12 12:43:34 CEST 2009

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 19:52:51 +0800
"Daniel.Li" <lida_mail at 163.com> wrote:

> Hi Anas,
>
> I'm also interested in FR, and I'm a fresh man to this.
> As we all know that there are about three SW levels, which is
> u-boot,kernel,Application.
>

> On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 13:21 +0200, Anas Alzouhbi wrote:
> > Hello!
> > I succeed to do the ssh with my openmoko,but
> > the ways that I have found  to arrive to build the first program are:
> > 1 - Documentation: Building a helloworld application, which needs to
> > prepare to it to build openmoko from scratch, which have in
> > prerequisites to follow getting started steps of openEmbedded
> > 2- Customizing the openmoko distribution (I think this is way is
> > easier than the first) this requires to build teh Mokomakefile
> Well, currently, there are lots of distribution
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Distributions .
> If u like Mokomakefile, then OE should be started first, I'm on this,
> but slowly :(

Last time I tried it took ages to compile the openmoko distribution
from scratch.
Also I had problems with some applications that temporarily did not
compile/download.

> > 3- Documentation: Openmoko application development in 5 minutes.
> I think this one is easy to do, I mean provide a "hello world" :)
>
> > 4- Follow the toolchain
> Yeah, tool chain also can be built by your self, if it's just for "hello
> world". I think it's *NOT* that difficult.

Using the precompiled toolchain seems like a much better option that
building using OE.

> > .... and others
> > which do you recommend for a starter to follow until finish??
>
> Well, it's hard to say, which one do u prefer? :) Just your choice,
> right? :):):)

I am sorry but I just have to do some shameless advertising for Debian...
My preferred way of developing for my Neo is using a Debian install on
a SD card.
On the Neo I have installed all the normal development tools, gcc,
make, svn and more.

Pros:
The development cycle is just like normal desktop development, no extra
toolkits that I need to learn to use/maintain.

Cons:
The Neo is not quite as fast as a dual core desktop.
This can be worked around by doing most of the development on the
desktop, and just compiling the releases on the phone.

> --
> Daniel.Li <lida_mail at 163.com>
> PALFocus (http://palfocus.oicp.net)

Visti Andresen