Problem with USB camera drivers

Walter Christie wheeltracks1932 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 22 12:04:00 CEST 2009

I set up modules for the linux v4l and uvc drivers. These make properly
without errors. I also see the USB devices with the lsusb command. I'm
following this procedure:
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/support/2009-January/004487.html

When I set the FreeRunner as a host, and plug in the camera into it, I get the following message:
v4l1_compat: version magic '2.6.2420081103.git7172ec57
 preempt mod_unload ARMv4 ' should be '2.6.24-20081103.git7172ec57 preempt mod_unload ARMv4 '
Evidently, the dash after the "2.6.24" is absent when I make...

The
make/make install is a two-stage process. First I do a make
menuconfigure on the kernel source itself, in a directory where there
is a dash in the name. I go into General Setup -> Local version, and
enter in the version starting from the dash. Then, I save the
configuration of the menuconfig, and run a make/make install on the
M-sound modules.

When that ends, I go into the source for the
UVC drivers, do a make menuconfig (which has a lot less resulting
options then the previous menuconfig), select the drivers I want, and
do make/make install.

I have tried doing this -
make EXTRAVERSION=-20081103.git7172ec57

 This
doesn't seem to do anything different. I tried to put extraversionin
the Makefile. Still no difference - get that error message when
attaching the camera, so it seems like the module isn't being loaded.
Is there an easy solution to this, or will I have to abandon the effort of making a USB camera work?