Getting Neo1973 running again.

Svetoslav Trochev sal_electronics at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 15 18:55:26 CEST 2009

Hi everybody,

I am owner of Neo1973. For many reasons (some Openmoko, other personal )
it remainder unused for very long time. I was keeping eye on dev list
for while and I see some good trends and I would love to help. The first
step would be to become more familiar with the phone. Yesterday I got my
self a new working SIM card and made my first call, but the currently
install version of the OM2007.x distribution is practically unusable.
Based on my limited understanding I thing I should start with SHR
distribution. But I would like some check on my assumptions:
1. The FSO distribution will be discontinued in order to allow
developers to concentrate on working on the framework.
2. The SHR will become the facto official distribution to use and
showcase the FSO framework.
3. From reading mailing list [1] I should use the u-boot on Neo1973.
4. My current version is "U-Boot
1.2.0-moko9_r8_70124c2602ae2d4c5d3dba05b482b482d91548242de8_0_2040 (May
19 2007 - 06:59:48) I don't remember and can't find the wiki page now
that it is recommended to upgrade my U-Boot loader in order to support
newer version dfu-util and NeoTool. I am not sure that NeoTool will work
with Neo1973 at all. (note: I have debug board so if I brick the phone I
should able to recover it, Right?! )
5. I am having trouble locating recommended versions for:
    5.1 U-boot loader for Neo1973
    5.2 dfu-util (version that will work with Neo1973)
    5.3 NeoTool ( if it works with Neo 1973)
6. My current understanding is that each distribution uses own kernel.
Is this correct?
7. Currently SHR is too big to fit on the internal flash memory and
should be installed on uSD card. Instructions can be found here: [2]

I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you,
SAL-e

[1] http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/devel/2009-May/005623.html