Xorg / Glamo ?

Christopher Friedt chrisfriedt at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 21:10:07 CET 2009

Hi Harald,

I don't mind updating the wiki where I see errors at all - as long as
I'm not stepping on someone else's feet by doing so.

A couple of spots that I feel need some updating are:

1) http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/OpenEmbedded

==> This page needs a bit of an overhaul, IMHO, and as this is a
fairly important tag or buzz-word, where a lot of traffic is
generated, people need to see the right instructions here to get
moving - quickly. However, because OpenEmbedded and BitBake are so
closely related, maybe it would be a good idea to redirect BitBake to
OpenEmbedded, and to have a separate page for BitBake Recipes,
documenting how to leverage OpenMoko / FSO's existing classes and
recipes for compatibility. I don't have any experience with the
application layer personally, so I would ask someone else to do the
BitBake Recipes page.

==> If people should not be synchronizing with Git.OpenMoko.Org then
maybe it's time to remove the reference on this page. If people are
interested in page history, the wiki actually keeps previous versions,
but I would suggest putting this reference into more of an 'Archives'
page somewhere else.

==> @ Rod : What is the current status of MokoMakefile ?  Does it take
into account the changes in the preferred repository? I really do
think that MokoMakefile is an important part of the process. This is
particularly true for application-level developers as opposed to
system-level developers, so I would vote to keep this. I would suggest
putting a reference to MokoMakefile right at the top of the
OpenEmbedded page, to more or less incite developers to use
MokoMakefile first before delving into OpenEmbedded.

2) http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/BitBake

==> This is the page that actually confused me at first.

==> Is it necessary to use OpenMoko's version of bitbake still ?

==> The section 'get openembedded tree' is wrong and needs to be
updated - I beg the person responsible for this page to consider
referring to a single, cenralized page like
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/OpenEmbedded . It's not a good idea to
have condradicting OpenEmbedded instructions on the same site.

It's probably a good idea to have OpenEmbedded instructions that are
aligned with MokoMakefile, so that directory structures and the like
are similar - including naming of development overlays.

If nobody disagrees with my suggestions, then I will go ahead and
rewrite a portion of the Wiki ...

I realize  that sometimes it's impossible to keep track of all of the
pages that one writes - myself included - the Android page as an
example, I'm no longer actively working on Android with the
FreeRunner, and I should probably ask someone else maintain it ...

Can someone else please maintain the Android page on the OpenMoko Wiki
? Sean ? Maybe Bricode ?

Cheers,

Chris