framework ousage delay for gps

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Fri Feb 6 15:57:45 CET 2009

Dear Petr,

Am Friday 06 February 2009 10:50:57 schrieb Petr Vanek:
> i am not sure what the right process would be so i am just dropping a
> line here @ devel:

Works for us. Additionally, you could cc' smartphones-userland at linuxtogo.org
for similar topics.

> when process requests GPS device via frameworkd, after release it is
> mediately released (AFAIK). Would it be possible to introduce a delay
> when the device would be still held say for several seconds (perhaps as
> global setting available via framwork). Why: If user closes one gps app
> and starts another (or needs an app restart), gps looses fix and it is
> necessary to wait for a new fix and if this happens during high speed
> or in another unfavorable conditions getting new fix might be quite
> hard...

Ideally this should not be a problem -- if we got uploading ephemeris without
disturbing the ublox4 working again, it should just take 3 seconds to
reaquire the fix.

Since this is broken hence disabled in FSO for some time (we will contact
ublox again for help), we might as well introduce a 'deferred shutdown'.

Open a ticket in trac.freesmartphone.org and we'll take care of that.

--
:M: