How do I make Xglamo read directly from the touchscreen?

Nelson Castillo arhuaco at freaks-unidos.net
Thu Jan 8 17:20:48 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Holger Freyther <zecke at selfish.org> wrote:
> On Friday 26 December 2008 06:24:21 Nelson Castillo wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> With the latest kernel we can use the Touchscreen with no further
>> user-space filtering. I'd like to test this.
>>
>> How can I make Xglamo read the TS information from /dev/input/eventX?
>
> To restart this:
>
> Check /etc/ts.conf. If your 'raw' coordinates are fine just remove everything
> after input_raw... this will still go through tslib but allows you to test
> things.

Thanks. That is how I test. I guess that it is enough so I no longer wish
to use /dev/input/eventXX directly for testing.

> Regarding using such thing in a general way:
>
> If you want to get this stuff actually used (and tslib removed) then you
> should:
>
>        1.) Get the code upstream into the linux kernel

Sure. Let's try.

>        2.) Provide the testing infrastructure that exists with tslib

It seems there are a few tests tslib. Why should we duplicate them? Tslib can
read from /dev/inputXX...

We are making parts of tslib optional for us, not all of it obsolete
for everyone ...

>        3.) Fix the XCalibrate extension... have a "stable" path in sysfs for
> configuration...

Sure.

> Our Company goal is to use upstream stuff, by using Openmoko's custom in kernel
> touchscreen filtering and calibration infrastructure we don't get closer to
> that goal, we walk into the other direction.

It seems more like a restriction than a goal. I really agree that we
should get code
upstream. We also have to make things work :-) What shall we try first?
We are in a paradox, I know. We need something that works, and then we
try to put
it upstream.

If upstream does not like the filters we'll find out what to do... I
guess they will
say why, and that we will try to solve the issues.

N.-