[OSX] does a toolchain need to support NPTL for OM?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Fri Jan 9 14:42:09 CET 2009

> It is (at least for 2008.9 - I have not tried for 2008.12):
>
> * armv4tl-linux-gnueabi
> * 2.6.24
> * softfloat
> * libc-2.6.1.so
>
> So, it uses a libc-2.6.1 and this may compile correctly with ARM NPTL.
> I will try this combination with NPTL and report...
>
> Hm. glibc says "armv4tl not supported"... So I probably should stay
> with target=arm-GTA02-linux-gnueabi...

As promised here the results:

I now tried to build

* arm-GTA02-linux-gnueabi
* Linux headers 2.6.24
* glibc 2.6.1
* gcc 4.1.2 with softfloat

Now the issue is that there is no glibc-linuxthreads-2.6 to download
from http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/glibc/ - just a 2.5. And although the
glibc-2.6 sources include nptl there is still no ARM support.

So I ask myself where to get the ARM nptl or the 2.6 linuxheaders
sources&patches from... This appears to be some hidden and secret
project within Open Embedded or Openmoko :-)

Maybe I will find something in http://cgit.openembedded.net/cgit.cgi?url=openembedded/tree/packages/glibc/glibc_2.6.1.bb

Finally it would be nice to get some information about which
components are really built into these toolchains:

http://downloads.openmoko.org/toolchains/

Nikolaus