WiFi: Trouble scanning for APs

Marcelo marcelo.magallon at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 20:20:36 CET 2009

Hi,

 I'm having some trouble scanning for APs, and googling around I found:

 http://markmail.org/message/lxsojiirq2wgssyk

 (I do have a GTA02v5)

 In that message Andy Green quotes and replies:

 > > * Wifi module works ok, but has some quirks. First,
 > > reception was not that good, second, there are some driver
 > > problems with the wireless extensions not being fully
 > > supported. you can't set the channel in ad-hoc mode, link
 > > quality has bogus values (x/y, x >= y), when you scan and
 > > there is nothing found, iwlist eth0 scan hangs with: eth0
 > > Failed to read scan data : Resource temporarily unavailable
 > > kernel says: AR6000 scan complete: 0 ar6000_ioctl_giwscan():
 > > data length 0 [repeated 20 times]
 >
 > You must have the "89" firmware on your module for good
 > operation.

 How do I figure out which firmware I have and in case I don't
 have "89", how do I upgrade it?  I tried searching in the wiki,
 but no cigar.

 Thanks!

 Marcelo