Future of location services on OM

Sascha Wessel wessel at nefkom.net
Mon Jan 12 21:25:50 CET 2009

Hi Stefan,

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 08:06:16PM +0100, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> We still have some more ideas around location on our agenda. And location from
> GSM/Wifi/etc is a nice part of it. Would be great to have some more devs here.
> If anybody is interested let us know.

I'm interested. :)

After I've read this thread yesterday, I wrote a small C app to try
different approaches for automatic storage of the cell locations and
determination of the position.

The best approach so far seems to be to use rxlev diffs of overlapping
cells. The current average error here is around 100 meters (gps
position - calculated position). I need more data for further
optimizations.

If someone is interested, I will clean it up and put it online.

Greetings,
Sascha