Future of location services on OM

Stefan Schmidt stefan at openmoko.org
Mon Jan 12 22:31:00 CET 2009

Hello.

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 21:25, Sascha Wessel wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 08:06:16PM +0100, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> > We still have some more ideas around location on our agenda. And location from
> > GSM/Wifi/etc is a nice part of it. Would be great to have some more devs here.
> > If anybody is interested let us know.
>
> I'm interested. :)

Yay :)

> After I've read this thread yesterday, I wrote a small C app to try
> different approaches for automatic storage of the cell locations and
> determination of the position.
>
> The best approach so far seems to be to use rxlev diffs of overlapping
> cells. The current average error here is around 100 meters (gps
> position - calculated position). I need more data for further
> optimizations.

Cool.

So far we have no real structurized ideas how we would like to handle all this
nice location opportunities aside GPS. Stuff like

- timezone from GPS coordinates
- City from GSM cell
- ...

are just small things we could offer applications this way.

If you, and other interested people, would come up with ideas for how we should
handle this in FSO that would be great. From our side I fear not much will come
before the MS5 milestone.

> If someone is interested, I will clean it up and put it online.

For sure.

regards
Stefan Schmidt