Future of location services on OM

Sebastian Reichel elektranox at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 23:42:43 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 09:10:06PM +0100, Nick wrote:
> mcc/mnc/lac/cid and two double for latitude and longitude
> (and perhaps other attributes such as max radius...)+

You should save the direction the antenna shows into. I had a look
at the gsm antennas in my region and there are always 2-3 fixed on
one tower. Each of them show in their own direction and have a
different CID. At my home I'm often connected to a tower which
distance to me is bigger than the distance of another tower - though
the further afar tower is oriented almost directly to my house and
the other one is not. In your data the 550m distance steps to
the antenna is also not used as far as I have seen it. This is
important data!

P.S.: In my opionion it would be nice to have this data in OSM, too.
There are already the towers for electricity (gsm antennas are often
fixed on them in Germany (at least in Oldenburg)) - And one can easily
get them out of the data again.

-- Sebastian Reichel