Future of location services on OM

Nick realtimeblog at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 17:14:18 CET 2009

Sebastian,

you are right. Most GSM cells are directionals.

one example:
http://realtimeblog.free.fr/cell_map.php?mcc=208&mnc=1&lac=16384&cellid=6317&display=Display

I do not calculate the cell direction (even though I have
already seen a paper with a methodology to calculate the cell
tower position from the kind of gsm/gps datas we are gathering...)

I do not know about the 550m distance you are talking about.

In my opinion, the cell tower position is less important
than the cell position openBmap is providing. It gives you a more
precise position than the cell tower position.

About OSM, I have found

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Communications_tower

regards,
Nick