some UI and text input thoughts

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Thu Jan 15 00:42:49 CET 2009

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 10:01:20 +0000 Andy Green <andy at openmoko.com> babbled:

nothing to do with hardware here - all to do with software stack. the fact is
there is no generic "zoom" control for apps - and apps have no concept of one.
you also need to think about where in the stack you sit - if you go
to /dev/input... you will be doing your own driver work specific to 1 hardware
type - if that changes - you are going to have to adapt. the best bet is to do
this higher up at the x level - but here you hit a problem. mouse events ONLY
go to the window they are on (or to who grabbed the mouse). so in this case
every app/toolkit needs to handle these themselves - OR you uxe an extension
like xevie and we put in an indirector for all events - this indirector
can/will be responsible for:

1. filtering (removing events, delaying and getting rid of garbage - it it
wants)
2. selectively passing along some events and not others possibly with
modifications (eg translate/scale the input/output - needed for a compositor if
you do things like scale the window output in the compositor)
3. can interpret series of events into gestures and then produce some form of
message (the protocol and standard are yet to be defined) that can be sent to
the root window o the focused window - or possibly just execute some command
etc. etc.

:)