Accessing voice stream in openmoko

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Thu Jan 15 03:14:17 CET 2009

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 00:07:08 +0000 (UTC), JW <jameswillmer at googlemail.com>
wrote:
>> "Ketaki Deo" <ketz.deo <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> > In my application, I am interested in accessing the voice stream and
> sending
>> > data over on it.
>

> a long time ago on one of the lists someone (raster?) wrote that sending
> data
> over voice channel is not a good option because
>
> a) signal rate is suprisingly low
> b) network operators have auto measures to disconnect
>
> JW

T-Mobile in US I've previously (with Nokia 6600 and Samsung T509 via
bluetooth from a Zaurus) successfully used a standard dialup connection
(9600 baud) over a voice call.  (WHY??  Because I work for an ISP and it
was a simple way to test the dialup service at various POPs in a pinch)

My own interest in accessing the GSM audio stream is twofold: call
recording, and attempting some (lightweight) processing.

Joel Newkirk
http://jthinks.com      (blog)
http://newkirk.us/om (FR stuff)