FSO and Paroli

Mirko Lindner mirko at openmoko.org
Thu Jan 15 09:41:05 CET 2009

Hi,

c_c wrote:
> Ok. That clears up a few issues for me :-) Thanks.
>
> Here are more thoughts.
>
> How are you planning on showing tasks/events/appointments on the home
> screen?

So far no display of those infos is part of the design as there is no
application for this, yet. Any volunteers ? :)

> Is there some documentation / discussion I can read about the PIM services
> planned?

Good question, I am curious too.

> I am also looking at coding a paroli-settings plug-in (if I can call it
> that) and have kind of started with a shell. I need more information about
> the ui to keep this (experimental code ;-) consistent. Like what transitions
> are we looking at - any other gestures/swipes that are going to be
> consistent across all the plug in's. Any specific widgets etc.

I am currently trying to figure out a way of keeping python and edje
completely separated, which means no etk and no elementary. The reason
for this is our goal to have the application completely themable without
the need to change the python code-base. I am desperately trying to find
time to investigate this. My thoughts were to use generic python calls
to load an embeded embryo script which then generates the UI and allow
calls to the python via signals (i.e. callbacks). Adding of new info
could be done via the edje-message service. This are only thoughts and
have not been tested.

> Does the design service have any documentation?

The design service is going to be removed :) The reason here is what I
outlined above.
The python code of paroli should not influence the design itself.

> I thought the editor would help make life easier for other users (designers)
> to make themes, while the coding can go on without paying too much attention
> to the ui. Of course, generating things dynamically would mean that the
> editor's use will be limited. Or that is what I've understood (and I'm
> really new to e17/illume and the whole concept of edje). Please comment on
> how things really are.

Afaik the editor is not able to load example data, which would be very
useful and editing is not really possible either. So I resorted to
actually developing on the phone and testing the design "live".

> Right now the ui seems a little non-intuitive in the sense that for eg I
> didn't know that i could swipe over a contact's name to see a Msg (button
> ?). Is there some place this is documented / discussed?

But it is kinda cool isn't it ;) Right now there is no documentation as
we are still implementing the default design, but it should certainly be
  created and the subpages on the blog are meant to be filled with that
information.

> Will keep bouncing my thoughts and doubts off this list I get more clarity
> :-)

Yes please, give me more :)