Exposure in paroli? [was: Re: Exposure]

Guillaume Chereau charlie at openmoko.org
Thu Jan 15 12:59:43 CET 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 02:50 -0800, c_c wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Mirko Lindner wrote:
> >
> > So the settings shown in the settings app would be generated depending
> > on the applications and services installed.
> >
> > Did this help?
> >
>  Yup. That clarifies things. Is there any documentation / discussion about
> how these services are registered and what services are in the pipeline?
> Basically I'm looking for any information I can get other than going through
> the code and figuring things out for myself.
hello,

I just updated the paroli service class doc (a little bit quickly, I'll
try to improve it soon). I do that directly in paroli code as a python
class doctring [0].
I know it would be better to have the doc in a web page, but that may be
the case soon if we find a way to call epydoc on paroli from the server.

Also, you can use paroli-launcher --show-services command line argument
to print out all the registered services (don't forget to use --session
as well if you run it from the desktop)

>   Plus, a lot of the basic settings (like power for eg) don't really have
> any services that I can see in the code as of now. Is anyone working on
> these?
No, I agree that all those services should be implemented. I tried not
to implement too many things before they are actually needed.
I will be happy to start working on it if you want some specific
services to be done.

I like the idea of having a unified way to represent the configurations,
even though I am not sure services are the best tool to do that.

Don't know if that can help, but in paroli every class that inherits
from the `Item` class will automatically keep a list of all its
sub-classes.
So for example if you define a class Configuration(Item), you can them
call Configuration.subclasses and get all the sub classes (even if they
have been defined in a plugin). That is for example how paroli can
retrieve all the applications.

Also remember that every application may have some specific
configurations that you may want to edit independently.
Originally my plan with tichy was to start the application configuration
dialog when you stay pressed on the app icon for a short time.

cheers,
-Charlie/Guillaume

[0]
http://git.paroli-project.org/?p=paroli.git;a=blob;f=paroli-core/tichy/service.py;h=c2b60adde55231cb70d626709fdf76fc2f9087b8;hb=HEAD