Future of location services on OM

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Mon Jan 19 19:24:22 CET 2009

Am Monday 19 January 2009 18:13:41 schrieb Onen:
> Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> > Am Thursday 15 January 2009 22:52:40 schrieb Onen:
> >> To be sure of the tuple I log, I
> >> prefer to get everything in a single shot. Moreover, I prefer to receive
> >> signals instead of calling monitor methods every time I want to log
> >> something, I guess this saves CPU, thus power.
> >
> > There are no unsolicited responses from the monitor for these
> > information, you have to poll for them. What we could do is cover this in
> > the framwork, but then we might as well let the application define the
> > update granularity / data accuracy.
> >
> > s/monitor/modem/
>
> Not sure to understand what you mean by unsolicited responses from the
> modem. The framework sends a signal
> (org.freesmartphone.GSM.Network.Status), following the GSM specs. Do you
> mean that under the hood, the framework does polling, because the modem
> does not have this kind of unsollicited signal?

We're talking about two different kind of things.
org.freesmartphone.GSM.Network.Status is about the gsm registration
information as defined by 07.07 -- for this there are unsolicited response
codes defined and we're using them.

org.freesmartphone.GSM.Monitor is the new addition to ogsmd, giving you
detailed information about not only the serving cell but also up to 6
neighbour cells in range. This one is not defined in 07.07 and there are no
unsolicited response codes, therefore we do not offer a signal.

--
:M: