Upstream kernel submission was: OpenWrt on your Neo - some updates...

Lars-Peter Clausen lars at metafoo.de
Tue Jul 7 19:04:29 CEST 2009

Marc Andre Tanner wrote:
 >> - kernel 2.6.30.1 is running we extracted all neo-specific patches
from the OM-kernel-tree and
 >> created an atomic and maintainable patchset for the Neo (Lars did great
 >> work here)
 >
 > This sounds great! Is there any coordination done regarding the ongoing
 > upstream kernel inclusion?

Nope, at least not yet.

 > Were there a lot of changes necessary for 2.6.30? A link to the
 > patchset would also be nice. Do you plan to submit the changes back
 > to the openmoko kernel list or do you even strive for direct upstream
 > inclusion?

Well to make it compile and boot with 2.6.30 was quite easy. Only needed
a few changes, which I've already started submitting to openmoko and
upstream.
More of a problem was extracting all the s3c changes from the openmoko
kernel tree as it is not possible to simply rebase the tree with git
rebase. But as most of theses changes have been merged for 2.6.31 it
will be much easier to get 2.6.31 supported.

We also did a lot of cleanup and stability fixes to openmoko specific
device drivers, I certainly want to submit my changes but I'm not sure
if they will get accepted as some are basically complete rewrites and
also get rid of conceptually broken sysfs entries. But as those are
considered public api and there could be some application somewhere
using it, I'm afraid there people who will reject such changes (See the
Xglamo in kernel fixes for broken userland madness)

Our patchset is available at [1] and [2]

- Lars

[1]
https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/target/linux/s3c24xx/patches-2.6.30
[2] https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/target/linux/s3c24xx/files-2.6.30