USB to serial converter

Visti Andresen talpa at talpa.dk
Sun Jul 19 08:23:59 CEST 2009

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 01:03:47 +0530
RANJAN <infibit at gmail.com> wrote:

> YOu mean this thing will work on any DISTRO?Also ser2net and picocom
> are to be loaded into a PC which openmoko wants to talk to?Right.

It should work on any distro that has a driver module for your
USB->serial converter.
And since the distros more or less shares the kernel source they either
all have support for your specific hardware or none has.

The "Sure. It should work just like on your PC." I believe was to be
interpreted as:
If you know how to access the USB->serial converter serial port on your
desktop PC, then the procedure/programming required on a Freerunner is
the same.

NOTE: On the Freerunner you probably have to switch the USB controller
into "host" mode first (see the wiki)

One of the brilliant things about running Linux on a phone is the fact
that your phone is then behaving just like your PC (running Linux)