Qt 4.5 on the Neo (was: C++ and libfso)

Nicola Mfb nicola.mfb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 20:07:32 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 6:48 PM, Michael 'Mickey'
Lauer<mickey at vanille-media.de> wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 July 2009 17:23:24 Nicola Mfb wrote:
>> A little OT: I'm experimenting CSS to decouple GUI appearance from
>> C++/xmlui, it works great and gives support to adapt existing
>> application/create new ones for embedded/finger friendly devices.
>> QT 4.5 has better performance than 4.4.3 and qt 4.5.2 fixed a bug for
>> some widget on display width <= 480.
>
> Interesting! Are you using it via X or via Framebuffer? How's the performance?

I use it over X on Debian,  SHR and OM2009 and feel comfortable with
performance, apps run more or less as with other toolkits. Asap I'll
write some snippets to test the new QGraphicsView performance, but I
doubt a float only based canvas engine may perform well on the
freerunner. In every case the major CPU effort may seems a little
thing in respect of the slow device video bandwidth, I'll report back
when free time will be available.

The following blog may be interesting [1]
And take a look at this nice video too , there is a neo in action,
hoping it's not a fake :) [2]

>> I'd like to see this framework supported in the shr/import branch, and
>> may be added to the feeds.
>
> I agree. As a matter of fact, I've seen a presentation about QML and that got
> me _very_ interested. I want to play with this.

I want to add that three major factors should contribute for a better
QT in the next future: QT on Symbian, Maemo will drop gtk and adopt
QT, the trolls experience on embedded devices.

[1] http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2009/03/03/performance-and-qt-45/
[2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhba1lhBllM

     Nicola