GTA03 = has FPU?

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 03:52:12 CET 2009

Have a look at this:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/GTA03

To save you time, the new processor (similar Samsung) will have a
integrated 3D accelerator and VFP instruction set. The VFP (Vector
Floating-Point) is a floating point unit combined with SIMD (Single
Instruction Multi Data). It got introduce by ARM since ARMv5, the GTA02
is ARMv4.  It's not as good as the Neon instruction set, that is
available in ARMv7 that can be found on TI OMAP3 but if the everything
is compiled with good flags, VFP will give a big boost Cairo
application.

Cairo path are all float based, so I guess this cannot be changed, but
you may be able to improve performance by rewriting libpixman with fix
point routine. You may also have a look at DirectFB Cairo, which uses
DirectFB fixpoint software routine.

Nicolas