Wifi not working

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Tue Mar 10 08:38:18 CET 2009

Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> No the wmiconfig is not working...

:-(

> Even if I can workaround the issue at my home AP, what will happen in
> other places...?

It still won't work, but understanding the problem better may help to
find a suitable workaround or even solution.

> Does anyone know why the wireless driver is not based on standard
> kernel wireless interfaces (MAC80211 or IEEE80211)?

Atheros presumably did this for power saving reasons. MAC80211 may
also not have been in a good enough shape at the time they decided
on the AR6k design. (And I don't know what horrors await WLAN makers
on the Windows side of the fence.)

- Werner