DRM/DRI Update

Thomas White taw at bitwiz.org.uk
Wed May 6 18:38:47 CEST 2009

On Wed, 06 May 2009 14:13:28 +0200
Lars-Peter Clausen <lars at metafoo.de> wrote:

> In my opinion instead of exa we should use uxa which is exa without
> memory management. And thats also whats intel is using now.

Hmm, I haven't looked too closely at UXA yet, but I didn't think UXA would
give us any advantages over EXA+pixmap creation hooks...?

> And another question is do you know if it's possible to tell the s3c
> to do a dma transfer of the cmdq buffer in the background instead of
> iowriting it and blocking the cpu?

I think it's probably more worth worrying about the speed of getting data
in/out of the chip, rather than the command sequences themselves.  But
in either case, sadly, DMA doesn't result in any improvement.  See this
thread, which goes into a lot of detail about what happens:
http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/openmoko-kernel/2008-July/003786.html

JPEG data uploads, anyone? >:->

Tom