[Om2009] a community effort

Mirko Lindner mirko at openmoko.org
Sat May 16 08:39:07 CEST 2009

Hey there,

A lot has happened over the past couple of months, but most important in
my mind has been getting OM2009 out into
the hands of the community. When we set the very limited goals of OM2009
  we had two goals in mind:

1. Give those members of the community who only wanted a daily phone, a
distro they could use
2. Introduce technology that would allow the community to come together
and improve on these basics

Community interaction, open development and user driven decision making
are at the core of Om2009.

Going forward this will be an effort with the community for the community.
The help and support I have gotten from the community over the past
couple of days and weeks has been remarkable and I can see things
starting to move and slowly coming together. We need more of this!

I invite you to join the effort to make om2009 with paroli the best
Om-labeled distribution for the Freerunner.

How can you help?

Test the distro, let us know about bugs you find, or even fix them and
send us patches.

Tell us about your experiences using om2009, what should we change,
where can we improve?

Paroli has come a long way but it still needs a lot of love and
optimizing, so if you are into python or efl, check out the code from
git.paroli.org, join #paroli on irc and let's get crackin'. There is
lots of things to do, opimd needs to be integrated and improved, the UI
needs polishing, overall speed can be increased etc etc

More into Chat and email? Feel like writing a jabber/irc/xxx or email
client that really fits the screen? Or do you know of one? Let's hear
about it.

See a list of proposals on:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Om_2009_get_active
and
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Paroli-issues

This device has a lot of potential and we are so close to reaching the
far corners, the kernel is in good shape, the framework is doing great
and telephony apps such as paroli or the shr suite are steadily improving.

So, get your Freerunner in shape again. Flash it with a nice current
distro and let it do what it was meant to do :)

Let's make Om2009 a community product, something all of us can be proud
of and say "we did this".

Regards,
/Mirko