oFono, a FSO Clone from Intel and Nokia

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Sat May 16 22:45:34 CEST 2009

On 17/05/2009, at 4:39 AM, Leonti Bielski wrote:

> Yeap, and this is a shame.
> FSO is great as it is - with more love (especially rewriting
> essential parts into Vala) it could be the base for all Open Source
> telephony.
> I just don't get it.
> But at least FSO is independent! :)

It's about control. Do you think Nokia and Intel will allow someone
else to control their telephony stack development?
It's also about regulatory commissions, certifications and being able
to get operators to buy into the software. Besides, how do you know
FSO was the first being developed?

What I don't get is why people think it's bad to have more than one
open source 'solution'. If reinventing the wheel was bad, we
wouldn't have KDE, gnome, gtk, and even python, FSO and Linux, for
that matter. Reinventing the wheel, is _good_.