oFono, a FSO Clone from Intel and Nokia

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Sun May 17 01:44:27 CEST 2009

On Sun, 17 May 2009 00:47:19 +0200 "Michael 'Mickey' Lauer"
<mickey at vanille-media.de> said:

> On Saturday 16 May 2009 22:45:34 Lorn Potter wrote:
> > It's about control. Do you think Nokia and Intel will allow someone
> > else to control their telephony stack development?
>
> Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I'm glad I work on something that's under
> the control of the community.
>
> > What I don't get is why people think it's bad to have more than one
> > open source 'solution'. If reinventing the wheel was bad, we
> > wouldn't have KDE, gnome, gtk, and even python, FSO and Linux, for
> > that matter. Reinventing the wheel, is _good_.
>
> Lorn, if you would really think this through... this is so wrong, I wonder
> how you can truly believe in that. I'm glad the this is a minorities' view.
> Anyways, since your opinion on that didn't change within the last 5 years, I
> will immediately stop commenting.

sorry mickey. going to have to disagree with you here. and even YOU disobey
your own principles here. why use efl or evas, edje ... elementary? hell! it's
re-inventing the wheel! you should have stuck to motif (well lesstif) as all
that qt, gtk, etc is core infrastructure that re-invented the wheel! god forbid
anyone should do that!

regardless what software it is - everyone has the right and freedom to compete.
having any opinion to the contrary is entirely against the open source ethos of
freedom.

don't get me wrong - my HEART is with FSO, but bashing a project with "nih"
labels is not rational. it's a personal thing. its the disappointment and
unhappiness that your solution (FSO) now has direct and stiff competition and
life will get hard, and there is a good chance your project may die/fail as
people defect to ofono. that fear is justified and real. i understand it 100%
and THAT is the real reason behind expressing dislike of ofono. do not confuse
that with competition and "nih". look at the support as a positive - you have
won the hearts of at least a set of people already. build on that. be positive.
dont bash the competition in public. promote the POSITIVES of FSO. do a
technical evaluation of things - e.g. performance, API, compatibility, footprint
(memory, disk) etc. etc.

ofnono claims fso's api is too primitive and low-level. ok - then prove
otherwise. that it's as usable and good as ofono (eg write a dialler - one
with ofono and one with fso. make all other conditions equal (same language and
ui, jut different api bindings) and make it an even match. if ofono wins with
smaller, simpler code - then you have something to improve. then ofono's claims
that fso's api is too manual and low level, putting too much work in the ui, is
right. prove them wrong!

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com