Glamo Speed Improvement(s)

Thomas White taw at bitwiz.org.uk
Sun Nov 15 22:43:37 CET 2009

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 15:35:33 +0100
Nicola Mfb <nicola.mfb at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm waiting for that great news for months!!!!
> Hope to find time during the next week to revamp my build host and do
> some testing ;)

Great stuff - let me know what happens.  There's an overhead associated
with sending the process to sleep and waking it up again, but you
should find that CPU usage goes down quite a lot.  The best results are
obtained when the commands being sent to Glamo are for fills/blits of
larger areas.  The breakeven point "sadly" got a lot larger when the 2D
engine doubled in speed.  Perhaps some kind of hybrid system would work
best, with low-latency busywaits used for short waits and the waitqueue
system used for longer ones.  As a general benchmark, my test program
(flat out fullscreen solid fills, waiting each frame) gets around 96
frames per second with about 3% CPU usage.

Tom

--
Thomas White <taw at bitwiz.org.uk>