[RFC] Qi Bootmenu

Marc Andre Tanner openmoko at brain-dump.org
Sat Nov 21 11:37:52 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 01:10:29PM +0100, Marc Andre Tanner wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 10:50:00PM +0200, Marc Andre Tanner wrote:
> > Proof of Concept
> > ================
>
> Some updates on what I've done so far:
>
>  - ecore-con is no longer needed (It can be disabled during ./configure,
>    patch is in enlightenment svn)
>
>  - uclibc can be built with a minimal set of locale data (patch is in
>    upstream git)
>
>  - I streamlined freetype's configuration by disabling everything which
>    didn't seem necessary
>
>  - integrated openmoko kernel build, the om-gta02-2.6.31 kernel branch
>    is used
>
>  - added some init script which should set up usb networking and start
>    dropbear
>
>  - updated to latest FWL toolchain version, unfortunately the release
>    tarballs seem to have a problem I therefore uploaded the toolchain
>    which I' ve built and which seems to work here. For further
>    information see the my post to the FWL mailing list at:
>
>     http://lists.impactlinux.com/pipermail/firmware-impactlinux.com/2009-November/000443.html

Turns out that the toolchain itself is probably ok but it triggers a
fundamental error in my build scripts where two different instances of
uClibc are fighting against each other. Need to make some changes to
the compiler wrapper.

> My current build scripts can be found at:
>
>   git://repo.or.cz/qi-bootmenu-system.git
>
> It would be nice if someone could try it out by following the instructions
> in the README and reporting back the results.
>
> I also started a bootmenu application which scans the available partitions
> for bootable images.
>
>   git://repo.or.cz/qi-bootmenu.git
>
> It doesn't yet include a GUI but Dave Ball started a prototype based on
> evas which is basically option #2 from raster.
>
> Things which I need to do:
>
>  - kexec doesn't have uImage support so either:
>
>     (a) implement it
>     (b) convince distros to also provide zImages
>     (c) strip the uImage header off at runtime with dd but this would
>         make it slower of course

Posted a first try at implementing it to the kexec mailing list,
probably needs better error detection in a follow up patch.

 http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/kexec/2009-November/003636.html

Thanks,
Marc

--