[RFC] Qi Bootmenu

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Fri Oct 9 14:44:04 CEST 2009

Marc Andre Tanner wrote:
> ACK. It's better that way. This would mean changeing Qi to boot from NAND
> onces it sees any AUX press. Because otherwise we would have to skip over
> 2+ SD partition with AUX which doesn't seem to always work reliable.

I'd rather try to go away from NAND. More modern CPUs can boot from
SD directly and thus don't need that quirky NAND at all.

There's the question of whether manually interacting with Qi should
select a different partition or whether it should select a different
kernel name (or some other marker), which is then used with the usual
partition search. (At the end of the search, one can still try NAND.)

I don't think it's a good idea to try to select among more than two
partitions in Qi. That's just feature creep. Better to have a default
vs. menu choice that works reliably.

- Werner