HelP regarding Emulation!

Marc Andre Tanner openmoko at brain-dump.org
Fri Oct 16 15:03:15 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 01:12:42AM +0200, andrzej zaborowski wrote:
> 2009/10/15 Paul Fertser <fercerpav at gmail.com>:
> > Yasir Majeed <leoyasir at gmail.com> writes:
> >> continuous loop. Can anyone guide me how to emulate freerunner
> >> images on Qemu emulator? or just give me link regarding that. I have
> >> successfully installed the Om2007.2 images, but for freerunner
> >> images Om2008.x and onwards, the moko make file solution is not
> >
> > Nobody's developing OM2008.x anymore. I don't think anybody is using
> > an emulator. It lacked too many hardware (especially gsm emulation) to
>
> (Technically there is an emulated GSM modem (that tries to look like
> TI Calypso as much as possible) in the emulator code, for example you
> can make a call to some specific phone number and it'll call back so
> you can test receiving calls (the same can be done using the "ring"
> command from qemu monitor).)

Do you have any plans to integrate the GSM modem emulation in upstream qemu
(I ask because you are also a qemu maintainer)?

> It's mainly the CPU differences that
> prevent GTA02 images from booting.

What exactly is the problem there? Qemu emulates armv5 cores for example
the versatilepb machine shows the following /proc/cpuinfo:

Processor	: ARM926EJ-S rev 5 (v5l)
BogoMIPS	: 235.92
Features	: swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java
CPU implementer	: 0x41
CPU architecture: 5TEJ
CPU variant	: 0x0
CPU part	: 0x926
CPU revision	: 5

Hardware	: ARM-Versatile PB
Revision	: 0000
Serial		: 0000000000000000

Shouldn't it also handle armv4tl code? Am I wrong when I think that emulating
an armv4 within qemu would 'just' mean disabling all armv5 instructions?

Thanks,
Marc

--
 Marc Andre Tanner >< http://www.brain-dump.org/ >< GPG key: CF7D56C0