GSM firmware flash bricked GTA02 GSM modem

W. B. Kranendonk wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 25 00:43:10 CEST 2009

> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:31:05PM -0700, W. B. Kranendonk
> wrote:
> > --- On Tue, 9/22/09, Paul Fertser <fercerpav at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > Date: Tuesday, September 22, 2009, 12:12 AM "W.
> B. Kranendonk"
> > > <wankelwankel at yahoo.com>
> have not
> > > been able to access the SIM anymore.
(...)
> I suggest you to install the latest SHR unstable kernel and
> then to try this
> command to communicate directly with the modem (ensure you
> have everything that
> can access the modem turned off beforehand):
>
> socat - file:/dev/ttySAC0,crtscts,crnl,echo=0,b115200
> echo 1 >
> /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-0/0-0073/neo1973-pm-gsm.0/power_on

I used jOERG's firmware-flashing distribution; socat was not recognized, but I could run the power_on which does not say so much in itself.

I also ran the manual check on the firmware flashing-page on the wiki. The results agreed with the outcome on the wiki.

Now I just flashed beta3 of hackable:1 v5. After fiddling with the interface for a while, I turned on and off the GSM a few times. On selecting auto register with network, I had a connection in a few seconds. Success!

> > Can I check whether HW flow control gets enabled
(...)
> Yes, you can check all terminal parameters with "stty -a"
> command.
stty-a gave a list of parameters, but I did not recognize anything that looked like hardware flow control; I will check again later.

For now I can make and receive phone calls; the rest can wait till the week end :-)