openmoko dfu-util improvements (patch & questions)

Sandro Giessl s.giessl at niftylight.de
Sat Apr 3 20:26:54 CEST 2010

Hi,

we are using dfu-util with some success for firmware upgrade of our USB
controllers. Thanks for the great software.

However, there are some small things we want to add to work with our devices
and to conform with the DFU 1.0 spec, in particular:

DFU_GETSTATUS ignores bwPollTimeout but does hardcoded usleep(5000) when doing
DFU download:
This is a show-stoper for us, since this delay is too short and results in
libusb 'Broken pipe' errors.
A patch implementing proper timeout handling is attached.

We plan some more changes such as ManifestationTolerant / WillDetach flag, and
DFU image suffix handling (this should make the bluez project's 'dfutool'
obsolete for us).

My question is, do you see a chance in getting these things upstream?
Since some distros are shipping slightly different SVN revisions, do you plan a
real dfu-util release any time soon?

Best regards,
Sandro