openmoko dfu-util improvements (patch & questions)

Sandro Giessl sandro-openmoko at niftylight.de
Wed Apr 7 23:13:35 CEST 2010

Am Mittwoch, 7. April 2010 20:05:08 schrieb Stefan Schmidt:
> Hello.
>
> On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 19:07, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> > I can do this for you. Will test your patch tomorrow or friday and let
> > you know if it breaks anything for my diferent OM devices. Quite likely
> > that we need the quirk to keep it working with the u-boot versions
> > shipped on the devices.
>
> I just gave it a try. Your patch did not apply for me. Against which
>  version did you made it?

The patch was against http://svn.openmoko.org/trunk/src/host/dfu-util @ r5891,
I tried applying it via

patch -p0 < dfu-util-DNLOAD_GETSTATUS.diff

which worked for me.

> I changed it by hand and it did not work.
>
> /* Shipped Openmoko u-boot on GTA02 does not set the
>  * timeout value correctly. Work around this until we
>  * have proper quirks. */
>  if (dst.bwPollTimeout == 0)
>         usleep(5000);
>  else
>         usleep(dst.bwPollTimeout*1000);
>
> A printf showed me that the value is actually set from my u-boot
>  1.3.2-moko12
>
> Starting download: [Timout: 5642501
> Timout: 14802992
> Timout: 15045280
> Timout: 15044880
>
> And multiplying this with 1000 should be avoided for better performance I
>  guess. ;)
>
> I haven't looked at the u-boot code where the value comes from. Need to
>  finish some other things. Just anted to let you know that the easy quirk
>  did not work out.

Ah, maybe there's an uninitialized structure somewhere in u-boot or something.
For this maybe a warning like "unnaturrally large bwPollTimeout - a bug in the
device?" would be helpful. ;)

--
┌─────────────────────────────────┐
  niftylight GmbH

  Sandro Gießl
  Lämmerweide 12a
  D-82256 Fürstenfeldbruck
  Germany

  Tel.:    +49-8141-315 99 00
  Telefax: +49-8141-315 99 01
  WWW:     http://niftylight.de

Geschäftsleitung: D.Hiepler / S.Gießl
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht München - HRB Nr. 175748