Future of dfu-util

Stefan Schmidt stefan at datenfreihafen.org
Wed Apr 28 11:56:08 CEST 2010

Hello.

On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 09:58, Sandro Giessl wrote:

[goals]

> This looks all quite sensible to me.

Good. That means I will schedule the 0.1 release as mentioned and we will work
on another one when some of your patches have landed and being tested.

I'm more in the "release early, release often" front as long as we really have
changes got it.

> > Help is of course appreciated in all areas. Daniel and Sandros have already
> > indicated that they will work on DFU suffix handling and maybe the quirk
> >  system.
>
> Proposing patches didn't work out as priorities have shifted a little bit
> again. :( Anyway, it is Mid Term stuff.

Sure, no problem. Just get it to me when you are ready. :)

> There are some draftings I put on http://github.com/sgiessl/dfu-util-branch/
> containing a minimalist's approach to quirks, unfinished dfu-suffix handling,
> bmAttributes-handling such as bitWillDetach and mostly minor structural
> changes otherwise.
> It's probably not even worth to spend too much time looking at it because some
> details need to be discussed first which might have some deeper impact.
> For example, a different approach to handling quirky devices would be to
> implement all device/usb specific things (including initialization etc. which
> is done in main.c) via exchangeable "backends").
> After that, I might rip out single chunks of functionality and adapt them to
> separately comprehensible patches...

I see if I can have a look over the weekend and make some thoughts on it.

regards
Stefan Schmidt