[ANN]: GTA04 (Beagleboard inspired Openmoko Upgrade) - Early Adpoter Program

Neil Brown neilb at suse.de
Tue Dec 21 23:11:18 CET 2010

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 16:41:37 +0100 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller"
<hns at computer.org> wrote:

> The price has been set very low so that it just covers component
> and production cost at a reduced feature set (there are not all
> peripherals installed but UMTS and GPS will be). It might be
> possible to retrofit some of them.

What is the rationale for leaving the sensors out?  I particularly find the
lack of accelerometers unfortunate - the rest I can live without.

How much of a 'maybe' is that 'might be possible' ???
Is it just  a matter of sourcing, soldering, testing?
I guess sourcing in small quantities after production would be the hardest
part?

.... because I'm very tempted to pre-order, but only if there is some
possibility of it making a usable phone in a year or so, and without
accelerometers I would find the functionality severely reduced (I turn my
phone upside-down to lock it, and tap on  various sides for various
functions).

Thanks,
NeilBrown