RFC: FSOSHRCON 2010 kickoff

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Tue Feb 9 02:24:32 CET 2010

Dear guys,

I just returned from FOSDEM (*) where we had a mini Openmoko devroom.
Seeing all the interested people and experiencing the scent of imminent
breakthroughs wrt. supporting foreign platforms got me really motivated
to kick off this year's FSOSHRCON. I consider last year being a good
start, but am 100% sure we can do even better this year.

Before we go into the detail planning, we have to talk about the rough
plans. Here are my proposals, please comment.

=Timeframe=

I'd like us to meet in summer, i.e. somewhere during the May - August
timeframe. We have to try to avoid school holidays and summer vacations
(especially for those of us who have kids) though.

=Duration=

I'm afraid it needs to be a weekend, but we should aim to have two fully
productive days (think about losing at least one day for arrival and
setup plus cleaning up and departure), so it'd be best if we could
either add a friday or a monday to the bouquet.

=Location=

This largely depends on the scope of this conference. I found last
year's meeting @ LinuxHotel very pleasant and supercheap. The
requirements are a big room where we can sit on a round or squared table
with video and networking equipment.

=Program=

Last year we had a strong focus on getting to know each other and giving
presentations. While that's all good, I'd like to attempt something more
focused this year. I would love to come there with some concrete goals,
such as:

*) Porting SHR to fsogsmd.
*) Porting FSO & SHR to the HTC Dream.
*) Porting FSO & SHR to the Palm Pre.
*) Unbreaking libfso-glib for C users.
*) Porting SHR-Settings to Vala.
etc. etc.

I do think that we can allow for a small amount of presentations, but a
really limited one. This year we should strive for a more workshop &
code sprint oriented spirit.

=Sponsoring=

Travel costs are always high. We should try to find some sponsors for
this event.

That's all that comes to my mind now. I'd love to see all of you in a
productive environment again, so let's try hard to make this happen.

Cheers,

--
:M: