case for GTA04 with 3D-printing?

Alastair Johnson ajohnson at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 26 19:18:34 CEST 2011

On Tuesday 26 July 2011, Alexander Lehner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> has anyone ever played with the CAD data of the FreeRunner and tried to
> 'print' it in shops like www.shapeways.com?
>
> I ordered some items from shapeways in the past and the result is really
> surprising. But I'm not a CAD-guy and just curious whether this is worth a
> try.
>
> (You can print things also in metal, even gold or glass. Having such a
> case would for sure be pretty cool).

The only one I've heard about was an extra layer that clipped on in place of
the back to house a radio module. The guys behind the GTA04 got a quote for
printing the existing case design i think, so you could check the discussions
about that in the archive.

You need to be careful about antenna interactions when printing in metal, but
there's certainly scope for an interesting case. I'm not convinced glass is
the most practical of materials though...