dfu-util: Support for DFU ST extensions (DfuSe)

Stefan Schmidt stefan at datenfreihafen.org
Tue Nov 1 12:13:53 CET 2011

Hello.

On Mon, 2011-10-31 at 21:01, Tormod Volden wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> > Now for the review. I'm hapopy to see that they at least have choosen
> > a different DFU version to distinguish DfuSe from standard DFU. I
> > still need to get out the spec from the windows driver package to read
> > up on it, but I trust you on this part anyway. I'm also happy to see
> > how minimal the impact in main.c is to support this extension. (Thanks
> > to all the ground work you did earlier).
> >
> > So, all in all I'm happy to get this merged. Test with my devices
> > showed up no regressions. I pulled it into master and if no problems
> > show up the next days will make a new release later this week. Thanks
> > again for this major contribution!
>
> Great! Looking forward to directing everybody to the official 0.5 release.

Planned for wednesday or thursday at the moment. That will also void
my excuse for not getting some minor other things ready for a 0.6
release then.

> > I wonder what would be the cheapest/easiast available device using DfuSe and
> > being compatible with your implementation. A full pocket oscilloscope might
> > be a bit overkill for playing with it. Any cheap devel board available
> > having the DfuSe enabled bootloader installed?
>
> - At $90, the DSO Nano 2 oscilloscope is the coolest device if you are
> into (low frequency) electronics :)
> http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/dso-nano-v2-p-681.html

Hmm, not sure I can convience myself needed it. There are cases where
I need an oscilloscope but during my studies I had access to some nice
lab equipment so now real need for an own oscilloscope. :) This may
have changed now that I finished studies. We will see.

> - If you have a JTAG adapter, you can get any STM32F1xx development
> board and burn the DfuSe IAP loader yourself. For example a Maple
> board http://leaflabs.com/ or compatible
> http://www.olimex.com/dev/olimexino-stm32.html or the simple, compact
> http://www.olimex.com/dev/stm32-h103.html both at 20€.

Interesting. Leaflabs is already using dfu-util but without the DfuSe
extension I think. That means they have adifferent implementation for
it on the same board. Being able to have both DFU version available
would be nice. JTAG is no problem at all. Sounds like a good
investment. :)

> The cheapest STM32 device is the STM32 Discovery development board,
> but that might need some soldering to get to work - it actually has
> one main development STM32 and another STM32 acting as the debug
> bridge for USB. I don't know if both are capable of running the IAP
> loader, the first would need an extra USB socket, the second would
> need sacrificing the debug link.
>
> - The STM32F105/107 chips have the DfuSe loader in ROM, so that should
> be much easier. And more RAM/flash.
> I think this header board from Olimex should work:
> http://www.olimex.com/dev/stm32-h107.html for 25€. But with shipping
> added you're half the way to a DSO with LCD screen etc... It really
> depends if you imagine doing something else than testing dfu-util on
> it :)

Sure, thats the question. Most of the devices I for dfu-util are
really for testing only. I will go with a leaflabs boards first and
consider the DSO nano later again I think. :)

regards
Stefan Schmidt