dfu-util: Support for DFU ST extensions (DfuSe)

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 21:01:04 CET 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> Now for the review. I'm hapopy to see that they at least have choosen
> a different DFU version to distinguish DfuSe from standard DFU. I
> still need to get out the spec from the windows driver package to read
> up on it, but I trust you on this part anyway. I'm also happy to see
> how minimal the impact in main.c is to support this extension. (Thanks
> to all the ground work you did earlier).
>
> So, all in all I'm happy to get this merged. Test with my devices
> showed up no regressions. I pulled it into master and if no problems
> show up the next days will make a new release later this week. Thanks
> again for this major contribution!

Great! Looking forward to directing everybody to the official 0.5 release.

> I wonder what would be the cheapest/easiast available device using DfuSe and
> being compatible with your implementation. A full pocket oscilloscope might
> be a bit overkill for playing with it. Any cheap devel board available
> having the DfuSe enabled bootloader installed?

- At $90, the DSO Nano 2 oscilloscope is the coolest device if you are
into (low frequency) electronics :)
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/dso-nano-v2-p-681.html

- If you have a JTAG adapter, you can get any STM32F1xx development
board and burn the DfuSe IAP loader yourself. For example a Maple
board http://leaflabs.com/ or compatible
http://www.olimex.com/dev/olimexino-stm32.html or the simple, compact
http://www.olimex.com/dev/stm32-h103.html both at 20€.

The cheapest STM32 device is the STM32 Discovery development board,
but that might need some soldering to get to work - it actually has
one main development STM32 and another STM32 acting as the debug
bridge for USB. I don't know if both are capable of running the IAP
loader, the first would need an extra USB socket, the second would
need sacrificing the debug link.

- The STM32F105/107 chips have the DfuSe loader in ROM, so that should
be much easier. And more RAM/flash.
I think this header board from Olimex should work:
http://www.olimex.com/dev/stm32-h107.html for 25€. But with shipping
added you're half the way to a DSO with LCD screen etc... It really
depends if you imagine doing something else than testing dfu-util on
it :)

Cheers,
Tormod