help needed with dfu-util issue on Freerunner

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 23:37:18 CEST 2014

Hi Freerunner owners,

I am trying to find someone who is willing to try some debugging of
dfu-util on their OpenMoko Freerunner. We don't have anyone who can do
it on the dfu-util mailing list, so therefore I am asking here. The
latest git version (which otherwise is close to be released as
dfu-util 0.8) does not recognize the DFU interface on the Freerunner
when one alternative interface is specified to be programmed. However,
all DFU alternative interfaces are listed when running dfu-util -l.

It is not known if this problem occurs if the interface is specified
by its number instead of its name. This is one simple test to perform,
i.e. run use -a 6 instead of -a rootfs.

It has not been verified if the interface is recognized when using -a
6 or -a rootfs as a filter when simply listing interfaces, that is:
dfu-util -a 6 -l

Further, it would be helpful to run dfu-util with gdb or another
debugger and step through the enumeration and matching of interfaces,
and see why the interface (name) is not recognized.

It would be a pity to drop support for the Freerunner, and I think it
is a simple bug to fix once we get someone with the hardware to test
it out.

Please also see
http://lists.gnumonks.org/pipermail/dfu-util/2014-July/000519.html

Best regards,