Making phone calls

John Locke mail at freelock.com
Wed Aug 1 00:55:11 CEST 2007

Hi,

Greg Johnson wrote:
> I had the same experience as Walter with my Neo.  I can sometimes make
> calls, but usually one of the components crashes.  So far I haven't
> heard anyhting out of the Neo's microphone, but I think I was using the
> wrong alsa state file.
>
> I'm using a build I did on 7/29.  My SIM is my usual US T-Mobile one.

I just put a new build on today, and am seeing about the same thing,
also with a US T-Mobile sim card. On a previous build, I did get the GSM
to register completely with the GUI (sometimes, like every 2 or 3
boots), but not today--I had to use the gsmd to turn on the power and
register.

I was trying to see if I could get GPRS working. Using the scripts on
the wiki for manual GPRS, it said it gave me a successful
connection--valid IP address on a PPP interface--but I couldn't get
anywhere, even after setting it to be the default route and adding an
opendns server to /etc/resolv.conf. I couldn't ping the other end of the
ppp connection.

Has anyone gotten GPRS to work? Almost seems like there's some firewall
in the way, but I don't see iptables...

Another call-related issue I'm seeing: I've copied an addressbook.db
over from Evolution on my desktop, and while the contact manager loads
it up fine, the Dialer no longer launches--it appears to not like some
of the entries, or something about this file... move the old (empty) one
back, kill the contact manager daemon, and the dialer works again... but
no addresses...

I, too, have the dialer crash whenever I try to answer a call through
the GUI...

--
John Locke
"Open Source Solutions for Small Business Problems"