dfu-util on Win32 [was: dfu-util on Mac OS X]

Harald Welte laforge at openmoko.org
Sun Aug 5 11:04:30 CEST 2007

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 01:26:34AM -0700, Shonko Kid wrote:

> I've been working on getting dfu-util up and running on Win2K (I know, don't
> hold it against me).

The point of having common specifications (DFU or USB itself) is to be
interoperable.  If we wanted to come up with a linux-only firmware
update protocol, we could have invented our own.  So it is meant to work
with any USB-compliant host stack.

> I'm more than happy to make it available once I've got the kinks
> worked out.

well, we shuold try to clean it up (make windows-specific sections only
compile on that platform, ...) and merge it with the main dfu-util tree.

> One thing I've noticed is that the Configuration Descriptor that the Neo sends
> back when in DFU Mode has bNumInterfaces = 5, but the DFU Spec seems to say
> that this should be 1.

Actually, this is not USB specific but a general USB descriptor encoding
isssue.

> It's been set to 5 because there are 6 (0...5) alternates for the interface,
> but the Spec doesn't really say how that should be encoded.

The USB spec is a bit more specific, but still not very definite in that
area.

> Well, there are a few other things to check out, but can someone more expert in
> DFU than myself confirm that the setting bNumInterfaces = 5 is correct? just to
> be sure.

I think it should be 1, not 5.

I'll try it and see what happens ;)