How is the Ethernet MAC address for usb0 defined?

Mikko Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Tue Aug 7 22:35:01 CEST 2007

ti, 2007-08-07 kello 11:47 -0400, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller kirjoitti:
> If it is so, I would suggest to derive the MAC address from the
> device serial number - or if that is not available - from the
> Bluetooth MAC (but not using the same).

Incidentally, using the Bluetooth MAC directly wouldn't be such a silly
idea. Different interfaces on the same host can share the same MAC just
fine. For instance on (at least older) SPARC hardware the MAC address
was actually the property of the computer; all network interfaces used
the same one. 'course, you couldn't hook two interfaces with the same
advertised MAC onto the same LAN segment, but that's not really a
relevant limitation here.

So, if one were to use a static MAC on the usbnet interface, I'd say go
for the BT MAC; it's easy, and there's one associated with each Neo.
Personally I don't have a problem with a randomized one, but this would
seem like a logical thing to do.

--
Mikko Rauhala   - mjr at iki.fi     - <URL:http://www.iki.fi/mjr/>
Transhumanist   - WTA member     - <URL:http://www.transhumanism.org/>