How is the Ethernet MAC address for usb0 defined?

Mikko J Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Thu Aug 9 13:18:53 CEST 2007

[Replying to you guys directly in addition to the list since the list
seems to be having problems.]

On ti, 2007-08-07 at 17:43 -0400, michael at crosscode.org wrote:
> This [static USB MAC address determining and setting] is
> getting a little bit more complicated, and more interesting. I think I may
> go ahead and do this one...

Yeah, sounds good. As far as choosing the actual address goes, I got
around to reminding myself how to generate proper link-local MAC
addresses. Seems that turning the universally administered Bluetooth MAC
into a different link-local MAC usable on the USB interface would be as
simple as to flip the second least significant bit of the most
significant byte into a 1¹. This would give us Neo-spesific static
link-local MACs in the simplest possible manner, and will allow us to
easily tie together the BT and USB MACs also from the host side, if
desired. How's that sound to you?

As an aside, last night I wrote up some suggestions on how to deal with
USB network IP and routing settings in the final product, with use
cases². You're welcome to add your own input to the wiki, if you have
any; that's what it's there for.

--
Mikko J Rauhala <mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi>
University of Helsinki