white screen of death?!

Erik esw at alum.mit.edu
Thu Aug 9 16:54:11 CEST 2007

[the list seems to be having problems again; I found my post on the
website, but never rec'd it in the mail.]

Replying to my own post...

My neo's alive again!  This time I was sure it was bricked.  I left
the battery out when I went to bed.  After two hours I was awakened by
something so I got up and put the battery in again to check.  Again
with the white screen and vibrator motor on full blast.  Argh.  I
thought I had an expensive non-linux-running vibrator / booklight.

But when I woke up this morning [6 hours after that] I put the battery
in and ... all was well!  It booted up fine!  It reset the RTC, which
doesn't usually get lost even after taking out the battery... so I
guess there's an ultracap keeping that [and some other microcontroller
state] going for a while.  I'd never expected that there'd be a
difference between 2 hours without power and 6 hours without power.

Is there a hidden button somewhere to discharge that ultracap?  I'd
hate to have it get into this weird state when I start relying on
the phone.  I don't want to have to start carrying around a torx
screwdriver, guitar pick, and resistor. ;)

-erik