simcity - sims that work and sims that dont

Alon Levy alonlevy1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 09:03:22 CEST 2007

Hi List,

 I've had some experience with dialing from the neo which I want to share
and hear if it is unique / not.

I've used two types of sims: they have the same formfactor, but one has
"simple" written on it, the other "sim+".

simple - worked for me, it is an orange network (israely), a subscriber
card.
sim+ - I tried two of these, both didn't work. (same orange network).

I tested both gsmd with libgsm-tool and also cu -l, with cu -l and at+cmee=2
I get the error:

at+cops=0
+CME ERROR: network not allowed - emergency calls only

otoh, with the simple it just worked (at+cops=0\nOK) and dialing
worked (I got another phone to ring :) - couldn't answer though, but
that's a different horse.

So, to summarise:
 * sim+ doesn't work (for me), simple does.
 * Can anyone confirm this experince? Can anyone *explain* the problem with
sim+? Can anyone help me get my sim+ to work? And does anyone have
specifications relevant (about the difference between the sims, about the
calypso) that can explain this?

Any help appreciated,

Sincerely,
Alon Levy
p.s. I've had success with a sim from cellcom (another israely network) that
did work, but since there is nothing except cellcoms logo on them, and the
physical form factor is the same, I can't tell which kind of sim it is.