A few more First-Day issues

Mark Eichin eichin-openmoko at thok.org
Fri Aug 17 00:40:52 CEST 2007

> I'm able to connect to the GSM device, but I am not able to quit. I
> only seem to be able to get "OK" or "ERROR" back, but it won't leave
> and let me get back to the terminal. Is this expected behavior at
> present, or am I missing something?

Just guessing, but this in combination with your unfamiliarity with
ssh suggests that you need to note that ssh and cu both use ~ as an
escape, so you have to double it to get it through... ie.
  RET ~ ~ . RET
should work.  (Alternatively, you can ssh in again and kill the cu
from another shell...)

> Why does access have to be through ssh? In a secure environment, we

Because if you only have the time to get *one* method working, ssh is
the one to pick, in terms of providing the most leverage.  Note that
it also gets you automatic remote running of single commands, an rsh
feature that telnet seems to have failed to pick up any time in the
last 20 years, and is quite handy in build-and-test makefiles; telnet
also fails to have any separating of stdout and stderr.

(Note also how none of that was security paranoia - just basic
 useful-to-developers functionality :-)

> Moving the alsa modules to the phone is mentioned, but I haven't been

The modules are supplied in the jffs2 image and need to match the
kernel; you listed

 uImage-2.6.21.6-moko11-r1_0_0_2388_0-fic-gta01.bin
 openmoko-devel-image-fic-gta01-20070803091138.rootfs.jffs2

which seems odd because they were built two days apart, but they are
the latest of each on http://buildhost.openmoko.org/tmp/deploy/images/
and so they *probably* match... at least double check that you have a
/lib/modules/2.6.21.6-* (whatever "uname -r" says on the phone),
though.